To apply to this role, visit https://jobs.lever.co/sep/87aa99be-80ea-4bb1-947a-eed1792af878/apply
SEP is hiring designers with significant software product design experience. Designers will be a key member of product development teams that build digital products for our clients that range from Fortune 100 companies to scale-ups. Designers will apply user centered design, Lean Product principles, and development methodologies while coaching organizations into leading edge product design and development practices. Designers in this role rely on human centered design principles to contribute to a huge variety of problem spaces, from data-heavy back-office tools to consumer focused mobile apps to interaction problems in medical devices interacting with software.
SEP designers work end to end in the product development process, from research and discovery, flows and diagrams to prototyping and solution testing, to pairing with UX designers and supporting engineers. Designers should have proficiency in UX research, UX design, interaction design and UI design in mobile and web contexts.
Current designers in this role at SEP have done these types of things:
• Presented designs to senior leadership for Fortune 100 companies. • Worked with other designers to build design systems from scratch supporting multi-product releases. • Worked with medical product companies to create innovative experiences for medical billing. • Gone on-site to create an innovative approach for athletes to replenish their electrolytes to operate at peak performance.
What you'll be doing:
We’re looking for passionate Designers who know how to help define and design a product vision with our clients. This is a consulting role that demands being able to work collaboratively with clients and colleagues on cross-functional product teams. The role expects strong product instincts, excellent communication skills, technical fluency, empathy, humility and an appreciation for and understanding of lean startup, agile and user-centered design values, principles and practices.
In Your First Month:
• Participate / facilitate co-make sessions with your cross-functional team and clients. • Design solutions and evaluate with stakeholders or end users. • Work iteratively with your cross-functional product teams to create and refine digital product experiences.
In Your First Year:
• Pair closely with designers on your team or within the SEP design community, both coaching and learning from each other. • Contribute to organizational growth by telling stories of impact through blogging, internal company events, etc. • Contribute to the growing design community at SEP.
• SEP is building a new headquarters in Westfield, IN. Currently, our expected move in date is December 1, 2021. • Pending any further changes in the pandemic, this position is expected to work primarily onsite starting December of 2021. • We believe we do our best work together. We expect work to be done primarily at the office, yet we also know there are times when that doesn't make sense. We believe in work/life balance. We believe in bringing your whole self to work - you are you, wherever you are. Maybe you've got a doctor's appointment far from the office, yet close to your home and it makes sense to work at home the rest of the day. Or, maybe you have a window of time to wait on a contractor to give an estimate. Or maybe your child is under the weather. We understand. Talk with your team and figure out how to make it work. • While not frequent, local or regional travel is likely (post COVID-19 pandemic) to work onsite with clients or conduct research on products.
About the Role
You will be responsible for: • Research, collate and synthesize user needs to help conceive, define, test and evolve solutions for our clients (and client’s users) across a range of mediums and experiences. • Lead design on teams consisting of a product manager, engineers, designers, testers, etc. to solve big, complex problems from concept to delivery in an agile environment. • Guide team members with effective experience design activities during all stages of the project. • Be an advocate for users and deliver outcomes in a dynamic work environment. Advocate, mentor, and educate on the benefits of design thinking with cross-functional team members, designers, and clients. • Bring a systems-thinking mindset to the application design.Plan, coordinate, and implement a variety of generative and evaluative research methods. • Finds creative ways to continuously learn from customers via design activities and workshops.Help identify new opportunities to solve valuable customer problems. • Craft user-centered artifacts (conceptual designs/modeling, user flows, systems design, information architecture, and prototypes) to align teams around the broader user experience. • Present work, concepts, and new ideas to cross-functional team members, adjacent teams, and/or senior leaders. • Keep abreast of industry trends. • Challenge teams to think bigger and act smaller • Help your team, client, and SEP constantly get better.
Desired Skills & Experience
• 6+ years of professional design experience focusing on complex problems. • Strong background in user-centered design principles across desktop, mobile, and web platforms. • Experience navigating large organizations and an understanding of stakeholder relationships. • Experience closely collaborating with engineers, product managers, and designers. • Ability to work collaboratively with others and navigate complex decision making. • Expert skills defining and analyzing user flows and workflows. • Expert skills in interaction design with a strong grasp of user centered design process. • Storytelling - ability to tell simple user stories illustrating solutions. • Strong leader and proven team player in a high achievement-oriented environment. • Excellent oral and written communication, presentation, and analytical skills. • Agile, adaptable, and capable of delivering new products and features. • Comfortable with ambiguity. • We work in an iterative and incremental way, balancing many different inputs and constantly making trade-offs. • Possess a very high level of comfort in working with developers in the presentation layer. (We do not expect you to code, only know what code can do.) • Proven experience in working with tools such as Figma, Sketch, InVIsion, and Adobe CS. • Experience with user research (generative and evaluative). • Genuine curiosity and a strong desire to continuously learn and grow. • Strong prototyping skills desired. • Online portfolio. • Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
How We Show Up: SEP’s Values
• Question Everything: We do our best work when we stay curious and push past the obvious. Don’t follow the pack. Respectfully seek to understand why and where. And challenge the status quo. • Be Human: Patience, kindness, humility, and humanity are as much a part of our success formula as our technical minds. Be a human, not a robot. And be kind. • Be Generous: It’s our responsibility to share what we’ve built and invest in the communities around us. Nothing exists alone. • CX+1: A calm in the storm. Confidence when you’ve never done this before. Right beside you when the stakes are high. We care about your success not just making great software, but delivering value and winning together. • Awesome today, Better Tomorrow: Learn, teach, mentor, repeat. Ours is a world of constant change and transformation --- if you’re not learning, you’re becoming obsolete. • Do It Right (Or not at all): We know our clients trust us to make decisions for them that don’t just get them through today, but build platforms for years to come. Shortcuts and “ish” are not for us.
Do Your Best Work & Live a Life You Love
No organization has a monopoly on talent; smart, effective people are everywhere.
We obsess about removing the drags and barriers that often undermine talent and drive. We obsessively work to rid barriers of multitasking, bureaucracy, and distractions. So... folks stick around at SEP. We grow and push each other to do our best work. And we hold each other accountable to doing our best work and making time to live a life we love.
Invest in Each Other and the Community
We care about your success—not just making great software, but winning together. And that attitude extends far beyond our employees. Our community involvement initiative puts our goodwill into action across Central Indiana.
The SEP Foundation helps those in need overcome the barriers and confines of poverty through engagement activities and grant-making. We also partner with organizations like Gleaners Food Bank of Indiana, JDRF, Student Impact, and Camptown. We provide lots of opportunities to volunteer together and love when our employees push events our way too!
What we have to offer
• Variety of projects in multiple domains/industries in various platforms • A community that aids professional development and encourages continued learning with friendly, talented, and effective peers • Extensive opportunities to learn and develop yourself • Gorgeous facilities adjacent to the Monon Trail and Carmel Arts & Design District • 100% employee owned (Employee Stock Ownership Plan) • Flexible, reasonable work schedules • A comprehensive compensation and benefits package (including Medical/Dental/Vision/Life/Disability insurance), and 401(k) with company match.
SEP is a digital product design and development firm that makes software that matters more. Our teams of experienced makers (how we identify our designers and software engineers) craft products that keep airplanes in the sky, help first responders save lives and help farmers feed a growing population. Working at SEP means you get to push the boundaries of design, engineering and software and make a positive difference along the way. We’re big picture thinkers, the kind our clients love to collaborate with.
Founded in 1988, SEP is one of Indiana’s largest product development firms with 150 employees. Our clients span from Fortune 100 to scale-up companies. Whatever the industry, we’re in our happy place when we’re tackling what really matters to the world.
The variety in our work allows our makers to experience new industries, innovations and ways to collaborate. The work environment at SEP is like none other. If you want to learn something new, find a partner and get to tinkering! If you're stuck on an experience issue, raise the design bat signal. We've got you. If you need a mental break, talk a walk or grab a bike to think it through. If you need to step away from a screen, grab a box of LEGOs and think through the problem in a different way.
If you are ready to make impactful products with us - reach out - take a look. We want to show (and tell!) you what SEP has to offer, because words can only do so much. If you’re curious, confident, and wired for high stakes, SEP could be for you.
SEP provides reasonable accommodation so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the selection process. Please advise us of any accommodations you require in order to express an interest in a specific opening by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (317) 843-1640 x2053. Please state your reasonable accommodation request for assistance in your message. Only reasonable accommodation requests related to applying for a specific position within SEP will be reviewed at the e-mail address and phone number provided. Thank you for considering SEP for your next career opportunity.
We are an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. All employment is decided based on qualifications, performance, merit, and business need. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.