The Staff Engineer serves as an expert on staff by setting technical direction and providing mentorship for engineers on our team. Work at SmartLogic is organized by project. Each project is staffed with a Project Manager, a Staff Engineer, Designers, and Developers. The Staff Engineer is responsible for the planning and implementation of technical delivery and team efficiency for projects assigned. The Staff Engineer works closely with the Project Manager to plan out sprints that align with the project scope. Even though the Staff Engineer does not serve as a direct supervisor, he/she will serve as the technical expert and mentor for developers assigned to projects.
The base compensation range for this position is $140k - 175k per year. This position is fully remote within the United States and its Territories. We offer health, dental, vision, life and AD&D insurance as well as a 3% matching SIMPLE IRA program.
SmartLogic is an experienced and growing custom software development consultancy successfully serving clients since 2005. We are deeply committed to our team, our clients, and the communities where we work. Some of our recent company initiatives include leading on youth workforce development, software developer apprenticeships, our Elixir Wizards |> Conference, and the Baltimore Women in Tech micro-grants program. SmartLogic values both continuous growth as well as giving back to the community. Therefore, there may be opportunities to engage at the professional level by participating in conferences and/or our podcast. We look forward to reviewing your application and starting a conversation about a fulfilling career with SmartLogic.
In this role, you will report to the Director of Engineering. You will not have any direct reports for supervision purposes, but you will be leading project-based teams of developers.
- Provide leadership and assistance by unblocking, providing resources, or offering mentorship to developers on assigned projects.
- Serve as the technical expert on assigned projects; QA and review PRs for submitted code.
- Work directly with the Project Manager to make and maintain tickets in the backlog and plan team resourcing time.
- Responsible for project team productivity by leading standups to discuss and monitor daily goals and team velocity.
- Work closely with the Project Manager and Director of Engineering to communicate project progress, challenges, resourcing needs, and project scope needs. This may include but is not limited to running team standups, conducting weekly check-ins, and communicating about project status.
- 7+ years of experience with modern software development practices and technologies creating custom software to meet the expectations of a variety of clients.
- Prior experience managing engineers and/or software development projects.
- Ability to clearly communicate technical and professional feedback to direct reports, teammates, and management in service of the responsibilities outlined above.
- Be organized, thoughtful, and intentional about the process as demonstrated by an ability to set and manage expectations amongst teammates, direct reports, and managers alike.
We are continuously working to cultivate a supportive and inclusive workplace that recognizes and respects the diversity of background, experience, and thought. We believe that diversity benefits both our company culture and the software we write.
SmartLogic is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors.
No phone calls or unsolicited emails, please. We do not work with recruiters or placement agencies.
This position is fully remote and you may work from anywhere in the United States. We offer health, dental, and vision insurance, paid vacation, paid parental leave, and a 3% matching SIMPLE IRA program.
SmartLogic is committed to professional development and community involvement. We provide ample opportunity for learning through dedicated professional development days, participation in conferences, and company-supplied access to books and other resources. We organize events, meetups, and invest in our local and online communities.